Pokarekare Ana

Pokarekare Ana is a traditional New Zealand love song. It emanated North of Auckland and was popularised by Māori soldiers who were training near Auckland before embarking for the war in Europe. 

The Māori are the indigenous Polynesian people of mainland New Zealand. 

Portrait of a young maori woman with moko by Louis John Steele (1891)
Image source
Read more about Ta moko

Māori originated with settlers from eastern Polynesia, who arrived in New Zealand in several waves of waka (canoe) voyages between roughly 1320 and 1350. Over several centuries in isolation, these settlers developed their own distinctive culture, whose language, mythology, crafts and performing arts evolved independently from those of other eastern Polynesian cultures. 

Polynesia is generally defined as the islands within the Polynesian triangle
Image source

We've put together a few different versions of this beautiful song:



TEXT:

Māori
English

Pōkarekare ana,

ngā wai o Waiapu

Whiti atu koe hine,

marino ana e.


Refrain

  E hine e,

  hoki mai ra.

  Ka mate ahau

  I te aroha e.


Tuhituhi taku reta,

tuku atu taku rīngi,

Kia kite tō iwi

raru raru ana e.


Refrain


Whati whati taku pene

ka pau aku pepa

Ko taku aroha

mau tonu ana e.


Refrain


E kore te aroha

e maroke i te rā

Mākūkū tonu i

aku roimata e.


Refrain

They are agitated,

the waters of Waiapu,

But when you cross over girl,

they will be calm.



Oh girl,

return to me,

I could die

of love for you.


I have written my letter,

I have sent my ring,

so that your people can see

that I am troubled.


Refrain


My poor pen is shattered,

I have no more paper,

But my love

is still steadfast.


Refrain


My love will never

be dried by the sun,

it will be forever moistened

by my tears.


Refrain


For some further listening, here is Hine E Hine (Girl oh Girl), a Māori lullaby written by Princess Te Rangi Pai: 

DHM YouTube

The text translates as follows:

You are weeping,
Little girl, darling girl,
you are weary,
Little girl, darling girl.

Be sad no longer,
There is love for you
in the heart of the Father,
Little girl, darling girl.

You lie there,
girl oh girl
Fall asleep now,
girl oh girl.

As for myself,
I'll care for you
Therefore enter dreamland,
girl oh girl.


This blog is intended to be educational and to share knowledge about music. Daily Hit of Music does not claim to own anything contained in this post and declares its sources openly. 
The following sources were used for this blog post: Wikipedia.
Image sources can be found in the image captions. 
Recordings can be found on YouTube by clicking the 'DHM YouTube Playlist' links.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O-Daiko

Vivaldi: Vedrò con mio diletto

Germaine Tailleferre (1892 - 1983)